Professional Training in Cranio-Sacral Integration
The CCST training in Cranio-Sacral Integration is a transformative course which, not only provides an exceptionally comprehensive training as a therapist, but also enables profound transformation in each participant.
The emphasis throughout is on developing the skills to become an effective and successful Cranio-Sacral Therapist. This also involves a profound exploration of one’s own development as a therapist and as a human being. The College of Cranio-Sacral Therapy provides this in a way few other courses manage.
“This training has transformed my life on every level – professional and personal, physical and mental, emotional and spiritual”
This training presents the unique approach of Cranio-Sacral Integration developed and pioneered at CCST by Thomas Attlee – integrating biodynamics and biomechanics, intuitive healing and comprehensive anatomical knowledge, quantum science and pragmatic practitionership, trauma skills, emotional awareness, profound personal development, Mindfulness and a wide range of other resources, to provide a more comprehensive and effective integrated approach. The syllabus has evolved over more than 33 years from the inception of CCST as the first and most established college of Cranio-Sacral Therapy, to create a uniquely well structured, carefully managed, profound and comprehensive training.
Mindfulness is an inherent part of the training from start to finish, providing grounding, insight, personal awareness, and interpersonal qualities, that are invaluable both within the therapeutic interaction and in everyday life.
The training is very practical, with approximately two thirds of the course devoted to practical sessions, and practical sessions almost every morning and afternoon. It also incorporates a substantial theoretical understanding of the concepts underlying Cranio-Sacral Therapy, backed up with two very clear text books by Thomas Attlee as well as a library of other texts.
“Thomas teaching is so profound, gentle and so well balanced between practice and theory that you feel comfortable from the very first moment”
The teaching incorporates a wide variety of resources – visual, auditory, interactive, etc – in order to support all learning styles, presented by a varied team of tutors. A substantial level of support and individual attention is provided on all levels, both during and between modules. Further support is provided through regular study groups and teaching clinics. The training is also presented in a manner that makes it highly enjoyable and fulfilling – creating a safe environment for learning and developing ones own personal process of transformation, engendering a group interaction which establishes friendships for life, and a strong bond as part of the worldwide Cranio-Sacral community.
“The support of the tutors is amazing, each of them bringing something special to the group”
The training is divided into six sections, and is available either as a One Year Training or as a Two Year Training.
The content of the One Year and Two Year trainings is identical.
Stages A, B, C, D, E and F are the six stages of the One Year Training.
Parts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 are the six equivalent parts of the Two Year Training.
Stage A/Part 1: 48 hours
Foundation and Empirical skills
In this stage the priorities are:
- to provide an experiential practical introduction to Cranio-Sacral Therapy
- to recognise empirically the profoundly transformative effects of Cranio-Sacral integration
- to establish the grounding, the calm quiet therapeutic presence, the sensitivity, and the perception that will enable profound engagement with the subtle forces of the Cranio-Sacral process
- to formulate a complete integrated treatment framework
- Principles and practice of Cranio-Sacral Therapy. The Cranial Concept. William Sutherland.
- Establishing Practitioner Fulcrums – stillness, softness, spaciousness, self-awareness, grounding
- Establishing appropriate levels of light contact, spacious attention, and profound tissue awareness, through which we can engage with the subtle quantum levels of being which constitute the matrix
- Acknowledging the wholeness of our being
- Developing awareness of the body as a coherent living matrix – an individual matrix within the universal matrix
- Engaging with the underlying vitality
- Engaging with the inherent forces of nature which determine the natural process of growth, development, health, healing, reorganisation, and reintegration
- Integrating biodynamic and biomechanical concepts to provide a broad spectrum approach that can respond most effectively to each circumstance
- Developing resources
- Developing Mindfulness as a foundation for all aspects of life
- ‘Being’ rather than ‘Doing’
- Developing a therapeutic presence
- Establishing a safe and appropriate therapeutic relationship
- Engaging with Primary Respiration, the Breath of Life, Cranio-Sacral Motion, Middle Tide, Long Tide and Dynamic Stillness
- Engaging with the system on all levels – bone, membrane, fascia, fluid, energy field, matrix
- Fluid dynamics, energy dynamics
- Quality, Symmetry, Motion
- Reading the whole life story through the Quality, Symmetry, and Motion of the Cranio-Sacral system
- Understanding Trauma as the root of most health issues
- Engaging with the Inherent Treatment Process
- Engaging with the body’s inherent potential for reorganisation and reintegration
- Anatomy and Physiology of the Cranio-Sacral system.
- Biomagnetic fields, Electro-magnetic fields, Energy Fields, Universal Fields.
- The Ventricular system. The Venous sinuses.
- The Reciprocal Tension Membrane System.
- The Bones of the Cranium and Sacrum
- Heart Centre, Solar Plexus Centre, Pelvic Centre, Sub-occipital release.
- Core treatment.
- Falx Cerebri, Falx Cerebelli, Tentorium Cerebelli
- Frontal area, Parietal area.
- The Occiput and Spine. The Sacrum and Spine
- The Sacrum
- The Sphenoid
- The Temporal area.
- Still Point Induction.
- Approach to practice and application.
Stage B: 48 hours
Biodynamics and Biomechanics, Fascial Unwinding
In this stage, we will be
- Deepening our understanding of the Cranio-Sacral process
- Working with Sutherland’s Spheno-Basilar patterns as a part of whole person diagnosis
- Exploring the profound and far-reaching process of Fascial Unwinding (not generally taught on most Cranio-Sacral trainings)
“The soul of man seems to dwell in the fascia” (Andrew Taylor Still)
“I love the fact that fascial unwinding is included in the training. It is so powerful and so profound”
- Developing a clearer perception of the close relationship between quantum and Newtonian concepts - between the subtle quantum forces of the Cranio-Sacral process, energy fields and the matrix, and conventional concepts of the nervous system and body mechanics
- Recognising the spine and the primal midline as the central core from which all health emerges, on both neurological and energetic levels
- Fascia - structure and function
- Understanding the profound significance of fascia - maintaining tensegrity, penetrating deeply to the nucleus of the cells, providing a high-speed communication network, maintaining a two-way interaction with the sympathetic nervous ystem, retaining tissue memory
- Tissue memory
- Fascia and emotional release
- Diagnosis and assessment of the Fascia.
- Working with the fascia for musculo-skeletal injuries, chronic pain and restriction, emotional tension, profound debilitating trauma, and overall integration of the body-mind
- Fascial release in the trunk.
- Fascial unwinding of the upper limb.
- Fascial unwinding of the lower limb.
- Fascial unwinding of the neck.
- The Spheno-Basilar Synchondrosis. Diagnosis and treatment of Spheno-Basilar patterns.
- The Sacrum - further studies and applications.
- The Sacrum as a major power-house of Cranio-Sacral energy.
- Establishing a firmer grounding in the anatomy and physiology of the Cranio-Sacral system
- Understanding spinal mechanics. Spinal integration. Double contacts
- Integrating the spine and the primal midline as the central core from which all health emerges
- Understanding facilitated segments
- Refining our overall treatment approach
- The Nervous System – neuroanatomy and physiology.
- Somatic Nervous System, Autonomic Nervous System.
- Cranio-Sacral integration of the nervous system - relationship to the viscera.
- Engaging with the Central Nervous System
- A treatment approach - a comprehensive, succinct, integrated approach to treatment through Cranio-Sacral Integration
Stage C: 48 hours
Integration of the whole
- This stage is a particularly significant and insightful stage, in which participants are likely to develop a more complete understanding of Cranio-Sacral Integration, and to feel that they have the essence of Cranio-Sacral Therapy at their fingertips.
- We will be developing a more comprehensive understanding of Whole Person diagnosis and treatment
- We will be exploring the interaction between emotional and physical levels, both within the patient and within the practitioner, and the profound implications of emotions and trauma on health, life, healthcare, and on our own potential as therapists
- We will also be recognising the transformative effects of personal process and reflective practice – in the patient and in the therapist
- More comprehensive understanding of Whole Person diagnosis and treatment
- Developing Diagnostic skills – whole person, fulcrums within the whole, physical, mental, and emotional fulcrums
- Distinguishing primary from secondary factors.
- Understanding emotions as a source of health issues
- Working with emotions and their profound impact on health and wellbeing
- Working with personal process – in the patient and in the therapist
- Integration of yourself as a practitioner - self care, self awareness, boundaries, ethics. Practitionership
- Exploring the vast significance of trauma on health and wellbeing, and developing a safe, secure and perceptive foundation for addressing and managing trauma
- Understanding fight-flight-freeze responses, hyperstimulation, dissociation, and other trauma reactions
- Working with the throat.
- The value of dialogue within the therapeutic interaction
- Developing verbal skills
- Setting up a treatment plan. Case history taking. Case Studies.
- Completion of the first half of the course.
Clinical Practice: 64 hours
Throughout the second half of the training (following St C/Pt 3) students participate in the CCST teaching clinics – an invaluable and much appreciated experience (not provided by many Cranio-Sacral courses) bringing clinical practice to life and providing first hand experience of clinical situations in preparation for your own professional practice
Stage D: 48 hours
The Face, the Cranial Nerves and their profound implications, Polyvagal Theory
In this stage, the focus is on:
- The structure and function of the face and the cranial nerves
- With their profound implications for overall health and wellbeing.
- Expression - interactions between the face and the physical and psycho-emotional state
- Resolving intransigent conditions such as Trigemanl Neuralgia, Bells Palsy, Vertigo, etc
- Understanding Polyvagal Theory, with its implications for autism, trauma, and overall health
- Exploring profound levels of engagement through working with the Ethmoid and the third eye
- The Face - anatomy and neuro-anatomy of the Face.
- Diagnosis and treatment of the Face in the context of the whole person - overall assessment.
- Mandible. Maxillae, Palatines, and Vomer. Nasal Bones. Zygomatic Bones. Ethmoid.
- The Orbit. The Eyes. The Ears. The Nose. The Mouth. The Sinuses.
- Foramina at the base of the Skull.
- The Cranial Nerves.
- Polyvagal Theory.
- Autonomic Nervous System disturbances in the Face and Head.
- Clinical applications of Face work.
- Dentistry, Orthodontics and Cranio-Sacral Integration. Temporo-Mandibular Joint disorders.
- Sinusitis. Allergies. Visual disturbances. Squint.
- Trigeminal Neuralgia. Bells Palsy. Vertigo. Facial sources of ADHD, Chronic Fatigue, Debilitation.
- Disarticulated Skull studies.
Stage E: 48 hours
Birth, Babies, Children, Mothers, and Fathers
This is an exceptional stage, covering comprehensively the crucial subject of Birth, Babies, Children, Mothers, and Fathers - the vast formative and developmental influence of intrauterine, prenatal, and perinatal considerations.
- a thorough understanding of birth process
- the far-reaching consequences of birth trauma – determining personality, physical wellbeing, and life patterns.
- Forceps, Ventouse, and Caesarean births
- Cerebral Palsy, Dyslexia, Learning Difficulties, Epilepsy, Autism, Behavioural Disorders, physical and psycho-emotional disturbances, etc
- understanding the significance of conception, embryological development, and birth in every one of us
- Recognising and addressing birth patterns
- Recognising and addressing intra-uterine patterns
- a midwife perspective – a fascinating and highly informative presentation by a midwife (who is also a Cranio-Sacral therapist)
- a thorough training in treating babies and children
- Running a clinic orientated around babies and children.
- common childhood conditions - colic, ear infections, Ear, Nose and Throat, feeding disorders, pyloric stenosis, sleep disorders, hyperactivity, learning difficulties, behavioural disorders, the autistic spectrum, etc
- Vaccination, Homoeopathy, minimising medication in babies and children
- Working with newborn babies
- Working off the body
- Working at a distance
- Distant Canio-Sacral Therapy
- recognising, working with, and addressing birth trauma in babies, children, and adults of all ages
- engaging with our own birth process
- working with mothers – during pregnancy, childbirth and postpartum
- mothers are neglected – supporting and working with mothers following childbirth
- working with mothers and babies simultaneously
- Mothers stories - profoundly moving and revealing stories of mothers’ and fathers’ experiences around childbirth.
Stage F: 48 hours
The Viscera, The Psycho-Neuro-Immuno-Endocrinology,
Practice Management, Preparation for professional practice
- the Viscera - thoracic, abdominal and pelvic viscera. Anatomy, neuro-anatomy and emotional associations
- The Psycho-Neuro-Immuno-Endocrine system – epitomising the integrated wholeness of our being - Pineal, Pituitary, Thyroid, Thymus, Adrenal, etc. Hormonal disturbances and hormonal reintegration
- addressing the many significant conditions affecting the organs
- understanding the crucial part they play in maintaining life and our overall state of health
- understanding psycho-somatic, somatico-psychic, viscero-somatic, somatico-visceral, psycho-visceral, and viscero-psychic interactions
- Further Integration of physical and emotional factors
- Vertebral column unwinding.
- Whole body unwinding
- We will also be covering pragmatic matters such as Practice Management and Practitionership, so that graduates can be well prepared for professional practice in the outside world
Total number of hours: 352 hours
A glorious celebration of a transformative training, a shared journey, lifelong friendships, a new phase of life, and the start of professional practice as an integrated Cranio-Sacral Therapist.
Dentistry and Cranio-Sacral Therapy